Saturday, December 20, 2008

Book Orgy

MIND
Quite spontaneously, I stopped at the book store last month and without really thinking about it, purchased 6 new books to read. They are:
90 Minutes in Heaven- Don Piper
Tuesday with Morrie- Mitch Albom
A Mercy - Toni Morrison
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle- Barbara Kingsolver
Stephen King- Just After Sunset
Reading Lolita inTehran- Azar Nafisi
At the time I swerved my car into the bookstore parking lot, I was listening to NPR to a critique of Stephen King's new collection of short stories. I confess I hate horror and rarely read it- especially Stephen King who I find particularly creepy. However I was so intrigued by the review, that I stopped my car as I just happened to be driving by a book store as the radio program played. I found the Stephen King book very quickly and then perused the sale table where I found the others. They are all books I've wanted to read for some time. I read "90 minutes" "Mercy" and "Tuesdays" right away within a day or two. I got bogged down in "Animal" when it became less discriptive and more preachy (I normally love Barbara Kingsolver's novels- but of course this book isn't a novel but a work of nonfiction based on her family's experiment of living for a year on food they produced themselves or purchased locally). I still intend to finish it but its been a few weeks since I picked it up. I haven't started "Lolita" yet but I look forward to reading it over Christmas break. The best surprise read hands down was- you guessed it- Stephan King. These scrumptious short stories are not skin crawling physical horror, but more psychological thrillers and very cerebrally satisfying. My impromptu trip to the bookstore (and my unplanned raiding of the family budget) proved to be a success. I should visit the library or my favorite half price bookstore more often to give my mind a more diverse and tantalizing diet.

No comments: