Thursday, December 18, 2008

What I know for sure

Exercise
For the second time now, I have pulled a ligament in my foot while exercising and find myself limping around unable to exercise much at all. The first time, I was on crutches for 3 days after attending an aerobics class. This time, I walked for seven miles (about 4 hours) and the next day I found myself limping and having pain. Fortunately I can continue my yoga routine (a 15 minute morning workout with Rodney Yee) for now. It's a little disheartening to be so fat, that you injure yourself exercising- but I press on- with an emphasis on LOW IMPACT.
Food
On the food front- I purchased some vegan taco mix and veggie burger mix to try. I'm excited to give it a whirl. My 13 year old is doing the veggie/vegan experiment with me- so we are trying new recipes together. Tonight I want to try to find a vegetarian enchilada recipe that works for me. I'll combine the 'taco mix' with a recipe I found in Skinny Bitch in the Kitch and see how it works. I had lunch at my favorite vegan restaurant (SEED) yesterday and I still think their veggie burger is the best thing on dry land. Last night I splurged and made shrimp for dinner (I still eat fish and seafood) and it was a treat. We ate them steamed with cocktail sauce. Yesterday I made fish tacos with tilapia that I sauteed with mushrooms, onion, diced tomato, green chilis and corn. I'm always on the lookout for vegetarian meals I can make for my family that will fool them or make them forget they are not eating meat- they don't always eat fish and seafood very well either.
Mind
I'm reading Eckart Tolle's 'A New Earth.' I'm loving this book. I read it in no certain order starting in the middle and re-reading bits and pieces whenever I pick it up. I picked it up yesterday (I keep it in my purse so I can read at spare moments) and started reading near the beginning. It was like reading it for the first time again. I'm learning more than I can possible integrate. I like knowing that I can control my mind and it does not control me. Oprah always asks 'what do you know for sure?' I'm beginning to know that my life is whatever I believe it is- if I act on that belief. I know that life is good and that I embody life and that 'choosing the good' is my decision to make every day.
Spirit
My daily quiet time is very enriching for me. I light candles, burn incence, read the Bible and meditate. It's a lovely way to start each day. I'm looking forward to going the the Holy Land (my friend's spiritual retreat center in central Missouri) this weekend for her annual Winter Solstice celebration- if the weather holds and driving conditions are good.

No comments: