Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I've Got Class

When I came out of the gym this morning from my circuit workout, I found a flyer on my windshield for a class called "Eat Well, Be Well" to be held at the local Whole Foods Market. I shop there often as they are the only ones around who sell the Quorn brand of meat substitutes that I love. The class is a four part series that covers:
1. cooking with whole grains and dark leafy greens
2. shopping tour of the store
3. baking with gentle sweetners
4. a 'new view' of protein and dairy
I can't wait to sign up for this class. It sounds like just what I need to know. I'm very limited on cooking beans without meat, and I want new ways to incorporate my greens. I would love to incorporate more alternative sweeteners into baking but never knew how, and I can't wait to get the scoop on protein and dairy, as I've been reading about them in the news lately. These are just the kinds of topics I've been reading about in the Love Powered Diet.

Another serendipitous moment this morning: as I was leaving the gym, I drove past a farmer's market. I had $20 in my pocket but decided on a whim I would spend it all on fresh fruits and vegetables. I got fresh Missouri peaches, blueberries, home grown red ripe tomatoes, and corn on the cob, some beautiful peppers and squashes, and a nice cantaloupe that I look forward to having for breakfast. Since I've sworn off fast food, I've had to be creative in finding new food opportunities that really are all around me. Not only did I get a small feast of fresh food, I ran into a friend and had a nice chat. A lovely way to start the day.

No comments: